Grace For The Journey
In your daily walk with the Lord Jesus Christ, how do you picture yourself? Have you ever pictured yourself as a wall of bronze? Well, after reading today’s word of encouragement, I believe you will!
God declares to Jeremiah in Jeremiah 15:20-21, “’And I will make you unto this people a fortified bronze wall; and they shall fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you; for I am with you to save you and to deliver you,’ says the LORD. ‘And I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem you out of the hand of the terrible.’”
God is encouraging Jeremiah in carrying out the task that He gave him by telling Jeremiah that he would make him “a fortified bronze wall.” This description takes on great significance when we learn the characteristics of bronze. Someone has described it like this:
“Bronze is a tin alloy of copper which is harder than either of the alloy metal ingredients. It is extremely strong and resistant to atmospheric corrosion. It has been used since prehistoric times to forge tools, weapons, statues and ornaments. It has a comparatively low melting point, which metalworkers in ancient times could achieve with charcoal and bellows. This allowed them to cast complex shapes. Natural bronze is a salmon-colored metal but statues and other outdoor artifacts quickly develop a patina, which protects the bronze from further rapid deterioration.”
The key characteristics of bronze are: strength, resistance to corrosion, and pliability for easy work. The picture God is painting is one who is yielded to His will and way and has the strength to resist the world’s corroding influence
God makes it clear in this chapter that he did not approve of Jeremiah’s attitude and conduct. If Jeremiah would win a place back in God’s favor and kingdom work, he was commanded to do the following:
(1) He must repent of his distrust and selfishness;
(2) He must rid his message of all that is worldly and unworthy.
If Jeremiah will do these two things, four results will follow:
(1) He will again be God’s true messenger to the people.
(2) He will not conform to the wishes of the people, but will cause the crowd to turn to him ultimately for the Word of God.
(3) He will become what God promised him in his original call, “a fortified bronze wall.”
(4) And, God will defend and deliver him from evil men.
Notice the work of grace in the life of the Jeremiah. The Lord does not say that he is to make himself like a fortified bronze wall through our own efforts. He assures him that this is all the work of his Great God. This is also true of us. When God says He will make you a wall of bronze, you can be assured, that is exactly what He will do in your life!
In a day when the witness of far too many in the church is so thoroughly diluted by worldliness, we need . . .
- Believers who truly are like fortified walls of bronze (yielded, strong, and resistant).
- Christians who can withstand the slings and arrows of the evil one.
- Believers who are not afraid to be “politically incorrect” and stand for the truth claims of Christianity.
- Believers who have been made strong in the Lord through the preaching of the whole counsel of God.
- Christians who are not “… tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the slight of men, and cunning craftiness, by which they lie in wait to deceive; but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, who is the head, even Christ.” (Ephesians 4:14-15).
I have learned that those who love the doctrines of grace are those who possess the doctrines of grace. They understand that the same grace that saved them is the same grace that is sanctifying them, sustaining them, and fortifying them in the face of increasing unbelief and even outright hostility from the world around them.
Please don’t miss the last part of the Lord’s words to Jeremiah: even when he has been made as a fortified wall of bronze, God is still with him! The reason we cannot be overcome is because our God is with us . . . our God is in us . . . and our God is for us!
Make no mistake about the truth of Scripture: it teaches that . . .
- God is the One who made us.
- God is the One who provides for us.
- God is the One who rescues
- God is the One who saves.
- And, it is God who sanctifies us and makes us as a wall of bronze.
So regardless of where this finds you today and what storm winds may be swirling around you, remember that God has made you a fortified wall of bronze. You will not be blown over! “I will strengthen you and help you,” He has promised us; “I will uphold you with My righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10). You can stand faithful and firm because God is with you every step of the way. Even if all around you is crumbling, you can rest in the promised truth that you will stand in your place and not be moved.
Praise God this day for this splendid truth: God has fortified you and He continues to strengthen you, moment by moment!
This is God’s Word For Today … This Is Grace For The Journey
Rest and Rejoice in this eternal truth!
Ephesians 4:7 – “But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.”
Hebrews 4:16 – “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”